Wednesday, October 23, 2013

DIY Girls Ruffle Dress - Re Fashion




So my mother is a big thrift store shopper. Anything from vintage jewelry which she re uses in her jewelry, to name brand designer clothing. When she visited for my birthday she brought with her a bag full of new/used clothes to add to my wardrobe. It added a lot of new fall fashions to my wardrobe. I really liked this Ralph Lauren Shirt and the vintage looking ruffles. However it just didn't fit me







First I found a dress that fit my daughter well with room to spare. You basically want to find an existing A line dress from her closet and trace the basic shape onto the shirt you are using. This allows you to get a good fit and proportion while allowing you to make any adjustments or additions you see fit. you can use a pencil or fancy tracing pencil to draw on your template.



Once I had the main dress cut out all I had to do was sew the side seam starting at the sleeve till the hem on each side. I don't have a serger so I usually will trim my seam and then zigzag all along it to finish it off nicely.
Since I loved the ruffle detail on the collar, I decided I would attempt to replicate it along the shortened sleeves and bottom of the dress. I did this free style without a set pattern as far as the ruffles go. I usually will just decide on a length of my ruffle and then measure the edge I will be attaching it too. I then triple the measurement and baste along the top edge, gather till it is 1/3 original size and then pin and sew to the edge right sides together. 

My daughter loves it! She was so excited that I had made one of my shirts in exactly her size!



Check out these other dress refashions we used as inspiration:

TUTORIAL: MINI TEE-DRESS REFASHION from Melissa Esplin Blog
Upcycle: Striped Shirt to Dress from Creations by Alisha Rose

Have you tried a re fashion like this, or are you trying. I would love to see what you come up with!

Please Share it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Popup Widget